Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sue Monk Kidd - "The Secret Life of Bees"


     Where to begin?  As much as I don't want to admit it, I absolutely loved "The Secret Life of Bees".  I don't like being lumped in with that group of people who buy a book just because the New York Times deems it great, or with the group of "chick lit" readers who only read Nicolas Sparks and Sophie Kinsella novels.  It's not that those groups are bad, I just don't like being told that a book is good by someone else, or buying a book simply because it's part of a particular genre.  Don't get me wrong, the YaYa's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A_TpKeK-Oo) brought me to my best friend.  Maybe I'm just a snob?

     The story is an extremely heart-warming coming-of-age story set in the 1964 in South Carolina.  It's happening just as the Civil Rights Act is signed, so the backdrop of the story is that of increasing racial turmoil....de-segregation, in the South, in the 60's.... Enough said!  Lily is the main character who, for many a reason, runs away from her troubled home toting her nanny, Rosaleen, along.  They arrive at the pink house not knowing it would change their lives forever.

     August, June, and May Boatwright are the occupants of said pink house, and with mixed opinions, open their house, and hearts to the duo.  Just like all good stories, it contains love, laughter, and life lessons along with a few injustices and triumphs.  (Hey, I don't want to spoil it, I just give overviews.)  These three women in their own way all come to embrace Lily and Rosaleen, and to help heal their hurts, as only women can.  My best friend put it this way once, "There's just something about being in the company of women."

     This book is beautifully written, and does a fantastic job of showing how love can transcend race, logic, age, hurts (past or present), and any number of seemingly impossible obsticles.  Ms. Kidd has written a gritty and powerful tale of redemption, and the healing power of the love of women.  It's like a more serious and complexly layered version of "The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood."  Despite my snobbery, I enjoyed this to the fullest, and recommend you to do the same.

Love your literature.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thesecretlifeofbees/

 


No comments:

Post a Comment