Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Francine Rivers - "Unspoken"

     I love Francine Rivers' writing so much!  She is probably my very favorite author of all time, but that's really hard to say so, just to keep from losing sleep over it, I'll rank her in the "Top 3" for now.  I actually got to "meet" her at a Barnes & Noble book-signing this past May.  As embarrassing as it is, I was totally star-struck.  For being such a verbose person, it was very unsettling to not be able to utter a single cohesive sentence.  Hubby to the rescue!  Yes, I did drag my dear sweet, tolerant husband to a Francine Rivers signing.  There were about 200 women, and about 6 very patient men in attendance. 

     When my turn came to put my newly purchased copy of  "Her Mother's Hope" (soon to be read!) on the table, I could not make my brain send words to my mouth.  I just kept thinking, "Oh my goodness, it's REALLY her.  The woman who actually writes down the words to the books that I can't put down!"  I put my copy of "Redeeming Love" down as well, hoping against hope that the B&N event Nazi wouldn't publicly harass me for not obeying orders to only bring the pertinent book to the "Her Mother's Hope" signing.  I was so hoping she'd sign my copy of "Redeeming Love" because that book changed my life.  I have owned about 6 or 7 copies of it throughout the years because I keep lending it out.  All of the people I lend it to end up asking me if I mind if their friend so-and-so reads it.  I answer "Sure! as long as they pass it on as well."  Needless to say, this copy will not get lent out!  Mrs. Rivers did sign both books and even included a scripture reference in each book. 
    
     As I was standing there dumbfounded, my always apropos Hubby strikes up a conversation asking her what her advice to aspiring writers was, and even made the comment, "I hear you like gardening.  I want to start a garden too."  (I had just finished "Leota's Garden" and had told Hubby my little "back of the book trivia" for the day, that she not only writes, but also has a garden.)  She said, "Never give up."  He offered up his little writer's notepad that LIVES in his back pocket for her to sign as well.  A very elegant, gracious, Godly, and ingenious woman!

   Now... on to the good stuff.                                                                              Unspoken: Bathsheba (The Lineage of Grace Series #4)

     "Unspoken" is the novella Mrs. Rivers wrote about Bathsheba, one of the five women mentioned in Matthew's account of the lineage of Christ.  She was the wife of Uriah, one of David's trusted mighty men, and was very beautiful.  David saw her bathing one day, and decided that she should be brought to his personal chambers for some illicit quality time.  They ended up having an affair that produced a son.  In an attempt to cover up their sin, David ends up having Uriah killed.  Double whammy! 

     What is so beautiful about this story is how, despite some very grievous sins (aren't they all?!), God still called David, "A man after God's own heart," and He still honored Bathsheba by giving her a place in the bloodline of Jesus Christ himself.  This is obviously a work of fiction, but it is hemmed in prayer and stems from a heart that desires to please God and honor His Word.  She says from the get-go that there is artistic license taken throughout the work, as there almost has to be in order to round out the story.

     This work does an outstanding job of showing the mercy and grace that God freely extends to us despite our most despicable and deplorable behaviors.  King David fornicated, murdered, tried to bring an honest man into sin to cover his sin, and STILL God calls him a "Man after God's own heart."  Amazing!  As always, Francine Rivers captures your imagination and heart from the beginning of the story, and gives you a vehicle by which to feel as though you are a part of the story.  History comes alive.  I felt my heart race a little when David summons Bathsheba to his room and woos her.  I felt guilt and shame right along with the characters, as well as joy when God blesses them despite it all.  Don't get it wrong, there are still some pretty hairy consequences for their actions that they must face, but that's the nature of the beast, I think.

     It's so easy to empathize with these characters when the writing is so wonderful.  When I finish one of her books, I am always inspired me to want to live my life for God in a more passionate way than before I had read the book.  God has gifted Mrs. Rivers in an awesome way, and I for one am thankful for it.

     And now, for something completely different...



No comments:

Post a Comment