Thursday, December 9, 2010

J.K. Rowling - "Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets"


               Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)

   What to do, what to do, It's my first day off in 11 days????  Laundry, ironing, exercise, organize the recipe drawer, continue to unpack from the move, make the bed, or read Harry Potter for 4 1/2 hours.  I'll let you guess.  I read the last 2/3 of the book curled up on my couch on my day off with the gingerbread latte that was a sweet surprise from Hubby.  Is there anything more perfect, I ask?  Not in my world...

     I usually try to avoid reading two books from the same series too close together in order to avoid what I call, "Runover."  You know it, where the end of the previous book "runs over" the beginning of the next book, and you can't recall what happened in which book.  I experienced this throughout the Twilight series, and have tried to space my series books out a little since then.  Maybe what I should be doing instead is to work on my reading comprehension / retention instead?

     So, this book picks up with poor Harry right back at the dreadful Dursley's house, basically a prisoner, he's mighty discouraged as he's not heard a peep out of his friends from Hogwarts.  The next thing you know, Dobby the pitiful house elf appears in his room and warns Harry not to return to Hogwarts because danger awaits him.  After an eventful evening with Dobby, Harry finds himself in a flying car accompanied by the infamous Weasley twins and his best friend Ron who've come to rescue him from the Dursleys.  Through a fascinating series of events, Harry, Ron, and Hermione return to Hogwarts, and yet again find themselves smack-dab in the middle of yet another mysterious scenario.  People (and animals) are becoming petrified by a dark magic that is very powerful.  Once people find out that Harry is a Parselmouth (has the ability to speak "snake") they naturally suspect him of these mysterious happenings.

     Another year at Hogwarts unfolds as Ron, Harry, Hermione, and the usual cast of characters try to discover who is behind the petrification epidemic, as well as clear Harry's name in the process.  After a few twists, turns, and other plot line happenings, the case is solved, and the trio of amigos is headed home to enjoy their summer break before returning as third year students.

     I've only read the first two in the series, and I'm already catching a glimpse of the "grows with it's readers" phenomenon.  This episode was written to a slightly older audience than was the previous.  What I mean to say is that the vocabulary was a little more broad, the plot was a little "twistier" and the experiences that the characters go through would appeal to someone on the cusp of "junior high" and still not be too far above a ten-year-old kiddo.   (For example, Hermione and the other Hogwarts girlies hint at a crush on Gilderoy Lockheart, the "celebrity heartthrob" of the wizard community.) This book was ever so slightly "darker" than the last, I think mainly due to the broaching of the subject of "possession" of a person's actions by Voldemort.  There was some of it displayed in "The Sorcerer's Stone," but this story seems to exemplify it in a more concrete way.

     I must say that Ms. Rowling certainly knows what she's doing to sell 325 million books!  Just as in the last book, the plot is full of mystery, adventure, and the unusual.  Her characters are both eccentric and quaint, and the "universe" that she has imagined and set her story in, is enthralling to say the least.  I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!

     Cheers to you, and yours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment