Saturday, February 27, 2010

Francine Rivers - "Unashamed"

      Yay!  My favorite author ever!  I have a love / hate relationship with her books.  Let me explain, I love them and devour them so quickly, and I hate that they have to end.  She is a former Romance Author turned Christian Fiction master.  She has done two different series of novellas based on various Biblical characters and much, much more.  "Unashamed" is part of the "Lineage of Grace" series based on the five women mentioned in Saint Matthew's account of the Lineage of Christ.
    
     This book is based on the passage in Joshua that talks about Rahab the Jerichoan harlot.  Rivers uses artistic lisence for sure to create dialogue, charater's motivations, as well as romantic inclinations.  She does so in a way that gives you a special and tangible way to relate to this woman who lived in a different time, place, and culture.  It makes me stand in awe of God's power to do the miracles He does, and of the way He works in the hearts of man.  Rivers helps bring the Bible's account of the battle of Jericho to life through this short, well written novel. 

     One of the reasons I really adore Rivers' works is that she truly knows the workings of the human heart.  She writes of love (for the Lord and for others) in such a way, it makes the reader's heart relate and come alive.  Who doesn't enjoy that?  I am always inspired by her literature.  I hope you give her a try and come to love her writing as I do. 

Stay thirsty, friends (for books)!

No comments:

Post a Comment