Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eoin Colfer, Andrew Donkin, Giovanni Rigano, Paolo Lamanna - "Artemis Fowl, The Graphic Novel"

     I've just read my very first graphic novel.  I feel so "with it."  I'm in the midst of reading "The Arctic Incident," and it's been a while since I read the first book in this delightful series.  The details of the first novel were a bit fuzzy; I've slept since then....  I was chatting with my hubby in his office, and my eye was drawn to this book.  I know he has a small collection of graphic novels and comics, so I was pleasantly surprised to find one that appealed to me, and was extremely relevant to my current predicament of pre-senior moments and memory loss. 
                                                                                                                                                                  Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

    It only took me about and hour or two to read through it, and I must say it was pretty good.  It was easy to follow; it rehashed the story perfectly (from what my feeble mind can recall), was imaginatively illustrated, and was very entertaining.  I guess that's what one looks for in a graphic novel???  At least that's what I look for...  I'm not much of a connoisseur, but what more could you want?  The story introduces, 12-year-old criminal mastermind, Artemis Fowl.  He goal is to restore his family's VAST fortune by kid-napping and ransoming a fairy.  Genius!  (If only it were that easy...)  Mr. Colfer and friends do a wonderful job of constructing and bringing-to-life a quirky cast of characters and an entertaining plot. 

     Despite me liking the book so much, I don't know that I'll be continuing to read many comics/graphic novels.   The reason is the same one I have for not usually watching movies based on the books that I've read... I like to imagine the scenery, characters, actions, etc that are penned in books on my own.  Every person's mind constructs the mental images in their own way.  When books are illustrated or made into movies, it puts a defined "picture" of events, characters, scenery, etc into your mind.  Sometimes those images match up with your own, and sometimes they don't.  Either way, I prefer to enjoy my own little constructs rather than have them defined by another.  I just like the ambiguity, I think, but again, it's just my own opinion. 

     If you do decide to embark upon this pictorial adventure "down the rabbit hole" with Artemis and his crew, I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment