Saturday, November 13, 2010

Eoin Colfer - "Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident"

    Can I just admit that in my next life, I too want to be a super wealthy, brainiac in Ireland complete with unlimited resources, a connection to fairy-folk, and an live in a fantastical universe?  One can dream....  I think I liked this book even better than the first installment.  (It was a nice refresher to read the comic of the first book before I read this novel; it had been a while since I read the original "Artemis Fowl" novel.)

     In this book, Artemis discovers the whereabouts of his MIA father and in a roundabout way, enlists the help of the fairy LEPrecon unit that he bested in the last book.   Out of nowhere, Artemis receives word that his father is alive and being ransomed by the Russian mafiya.  About the same time, our underground characters discover human-made batteries are being smuggled in by goblins.  The LEP force needs to find out who the above ground source is, and why they are needed by the goblins.  After their previous encounter with Artemis and his entourage, the LEP reason that he is a primary suspect.  What ensues is an extremely creative and highly entertaining story of mutual mistrust as well as mutual need for one another's resources. 

     Mr. Colfer has a unique wit about his characters and his writing, and is incredibly creative in his story-line and settings.  He also does a great job of using his story to make a statement about how we as humans have lost some respect for the planet.  He shows it in the contrast between the underground fairy network and the above ground "mud men" territory.  It's always good to read an author that makes a positive statement through their work, without letting it get in the way of the story, and who also uses it to actually enhance the story itself. 

     Just like in the last book, there is an encoded message along the bottom of the pages for the reader to crack and discover.  Genius, really!  I believe the code is only a part of this particular book's first edition, or maybe it's only in the non-US release.  I'm not sure which, but I had to do a little research and find a Puffin published book from England.  Call me a nerd, I'm okay with that. 

     I hope you choose to join Artemis, Butler, Holly Short, and the rest of the gang for this enthralling episode.  Until next time, I bid you, "Adieu."

No comments:

Post a Comment