Monday, November 29, 2010

J.K. Rowling - "Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone"

.     I've finally succumbed to the Harry Potter craze.  Yes, I DO realize I'm like a whole decade behind, but I like to take my time about things.  You know, let other people test out the waters first, and it seems that this is a series I'll be working my way through as well!

     I've obviously not read the whole series, but I've been told that it's a series designed to "grow with it's readers."  The tale begins with ten-year-old Harry living a miserable life with his aunt, uncle, and awful cousin believing that his parents had been killed in a car crash when he was a tiny baby.  This same crash is where his lightning bolt shaped scar is supposed to have originated as well.  On the eve of his eleventh birthday he receives a letter in the mail addressed to him.  This has never happened before!  His aunt and uncle destroy it because they know it contains things that point to Harry's past, and they are of the belief that the past is best left in the past.  It's through this that Harry's true nature as well as pieces of his past are revealed to him.                                                                               Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)


     Harry is in fact the son of a witch and a wizard and is, in fact, a wizard himself!  The letter that he receives in the beginning of the story is his acceptance letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where his parents met and where, unbeknownst to young Mr. Potter, his name is famous as being the first person to survive an attempted murder by Voldemort.  Through a long, eventful, and magical adventure, Harry finds himself at Hogwarts with his newfound friends Ron and Hermoine.

     Throughout the course of the story Harry, Ron, and Hermione find themselves entangled in a plot to prevent the heist of the very powerful sorcerer's stone by one of the Hogwart's professors.  As the trio works towards their end, they discover that it takes the skills and strengths that each of the three possesses in order to protect the precious stone from falling into the wrong hands.
                                                                      
     The story is cleverly written and highly entertaining to readers of all ages (I'm rapidly nearing the big three-oh...It doesn't look so scary when it's spelled out in letters rather than numbers).  I love how Ms. Rowling has truly created an entire world of her own down to the smallest detail.  She writes in a way that is easily understandable to her "intended audience," but is not so easy that it's beneath it's older readers.  Every time I opened the book, I was (as cliche' as it is...) whisked off to a land far, far away.  I highly recommend it to readers of all ages!

      Now I just need a few weeks of undisturbed reading to get through the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment